HOW DOES LYNCH'S PHARMACY HELP?
- Initial half hour consultation with your Pharmacist outlining Cushings Syndrome. This 30 minute one-on-one session is broken into three areas -
- What is the cause of Cushings Syndrome?
- How is Cushings Syndrome treated?
- How do you live with Cushings Syndrome?
- We will go through the causes, risk factors, progression and management of Cushings Syndrome. We will explain the treatments available including conventional medicine, complimentary medicine and complimentary therapy. All our recommendations for complimentary medicine and therapies are based on clinical evidence.
- Access to our Cushings Syndrome Resource Centre - stay informed and up to date on the latest developments in Cushings Syndrome research, including the best management strategies available.
- Access to our Cushings Syndrome Library where you will find articles and videos on all things to do with causes, living with and treating Cushings Syndrome.
- You might have been recommended to follow a healthy diet, so we make it easy by providing many delicious, healthy, calorie controlled recipes.
- Exercise is medicine. Let Olympic Athlete Gillian O'Sullivan get you motivated and started with an exercise program. Gillian will put you through your paces online using our stretching and exercise videos.
- Visit our interactive stress management centre where Sinead & Jez will help you relax through Yoga and Tai Chi.
- Also available in our resource centre are our scientifically proven complimentary therapies. Get started today using our quick start guide to Art Therapy, Music Therapy, Light Therapy, meditation, relaxed breathing, muscle relaxation and many more. Control your stress using scientifically proven therapies.
What is it?
Cushing's syndrome occurs when your body is exposed to high levels of the hormone cortisol for a long time.
How do I recognise it?
- Weight gain, particularly around your midsection and upper back
- Muscle weakness
- Rounding of your face (moon face)
- Facial flushing
- Fatty pad or hump between your shoulders (buffalo hump)
- Pink or purple stretch marks (striae) on the skin of your abdomen, thighs, breasts and arms
- Thin and fragile skin that bruises easily
- Slow healing of cuts, insect bites and infections
- Depression, anxiety and irritability
- Loss of emotional control
- Thicker or more visible body and facial hair (hirsutism)
- Irregular or absent menstrual periods in females
- Decreased libido
- Erectile dysfunction in males
- New or worsened high blood pressure
- Glucose intolerance that may lead to diabetes
- Bone loss, leading to fractures over time
Your adrenal glands produce cortisol along with other hormones. When there is too much cortisol in your blood over a long period of time you develop cushing's syndrome.
Taking corticosteroids over a long period of time can raise the cortisol levels in your blood enough to cause cushing's.
Your body's own overproduction
Your body may just produce too much cortisol by itself due to:
- A pituitary gland tumor.
- An ectopic ACTH-secreting tumor.
- A primary adrenal gland disease.
How do you treat it?
Like any disease, even if there is no cure, there is almost always something you can do to manage it and take control. There are three main areas involved in the treatment of any disease:
For information on medicines and therapies relevant to Cushing's, make an appointment at Lynch's pharmacy, Broadale, Douglas, Cork on 021-4366923.
Learn all about the drugs used to treat the disease and any complementary medicines or therapies proven to help. Equip yourself with the tools to manage the condition and not be managed by it.
How do you live with it?
Certain adjustments may be needed to get on with your life, and often, some simple tips and advice can go a long way to making these changes.
When you come to a Lynch's Pharmacy Clinic, we provide you all the necessary information available to make your life more manageable and allow you to better live with your condition.
Cushing's Syndrome, information for patients http://www.cks.nhs.uk/patient_information_leaflet/cushings_syndrome
Treatment & Management Strategies
If you would like to know the latest treatment and management strategies, using conventional and scientifically backed complementary medicine and therapies, plus an assortment of helpful tips, hints and lifestyle remedies which will improve your overall quality of life, then call into our pharmacy and we'll be delighted to help.