HOW DOES LYNCH'S PHARMACY HELP?
- Initial half hour consultation with your Pharmacist outlining Diverticulitis. This 30 minute one-on-one session is broken into three areas -
- What is the cause of Diverticulitis?
- How is Diverticulitis treated?
- How do you live with Diverticulitis?
- We will go through the causes, risk factors, progression and management of Diverticulitis.
What is it?
When the bulging pouches along your digestive tract, known as diverticula, become inflammed and infected, diverticulitis results.
How do I recognise it?
Common signs and symptoms of diverticulitis include:
- Pain that's often sudden, severe, and located in the lower left side of the abdomen. Less commonly, abdominal pain may be mild at first, and become worse over several days, possibly fluctuating in intensity
- Change in bowel habits
- Abdominal tenderness
- Nausea and vomiting
Less common signs and symptoms of diverticulitis may include:
- Bleeding from your rectum
Diverticula usually develop when naturally weak places in your colon give way under pressure. This causes marble-sized pouches to protrude through the colon wall.
Exactly how diverticula become inflamed or infected isn't clear.
How do you treat it?
Like any disease, even if there is no cure, there is almost always something you can do to manage it and take control. There are three main areas involved in the treatment of any disease:
How do you live with it?
Certain adjustments may be needed to get on with your life, and often, some simple tips and advice can go a long way to making these changes.
When you come to a Lynch's Pharmacy Clinic, we give you all the necessary information available to make your life more manageable which allow's you to better live with your condition.
Diverticulitis, a comprehensive overview http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diverticulitis/DS00070