Betnovate scalp application is a strong and rapidly effective treatment for some scalp conditions such as psoriasis and dermatitis. Betnovate scalp application also contains an alcohol which has an antiseptic effect.
Why have I been prescribed Betnovate Scalp Application?
- Betnovate scalp application is a strong and rapidly effective treatment for some scalp conditions such as psoriasis and dermatitis.
- Betnovate scalp application also contains an alcohol which has an antiseptic effect.
How does it work?
Betnovate scalp application is one of a group of medicines called topical steroids. ”Topical“ means they are put on the skin. Topical steroids reduce the redness and itchiness of certain skin problems. (They should not be confused with ”anabolic” steroids misused by some body builders and taken as tablets or injections).
When and how do I take it?
When washing or shampooing your hair, apply the scalp application after drying your hair. Betnovate scalp application is inflammable so keep it away from fire and do not dry your hair near fire or a naked flame.
If your doctor has told you in detail how to use the scalp application then keep to that advice otherwise:
Morning and evening:
- Unscrew the cap on the bottle and place the nozzle on the part of the scalp that needs treating.
- Gently squeeze the bottle until the area to be treated is completely covered with a thin layer of liquid. You can gently rub it into the scalp if you wish.
- Your scalp will feel cool until the liquid has dried off. The active ingredient is then left on your scalp.
- As soon as the scalp problem looks better use once a day or less.
For a child:
- It should not be used on children under one year of age.
- Never use more than is needed to cover the scalp condition.
- Do not use for a long-time (nearly every day for weeks or months).
- Do not cover with an airtight dressing.
What’s the dose?
Could it interact with other tablets?
There are no known interactions between Betnovate Scalp Application and other medicines.
What are the possible risks or side-effects?
Most people find this application causes no problems when used in the right amount for the correct length of time. (See above).
IF you find your condition gets worse during treatment you may be allergic to it or have a scalp infection or if you think the application is causing any side effects, STOP USING THE SCALP APPLICATION AND TELL YOUR DOCTOR AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
- Itching, a local burning sensation or reddening of the skin at the site where your scalp application was applied have been reported. It may even appear that your condition is getting worse, i.e. a postular form of the disease may occur. This is why your doctor may want to see you regularly.
- Using more than the correct amount may allow the active ingredient to pass through the scalp and affect other parts of the body, especially in infants and children. The use of airtight bandages or dressings over the treated areas increases the risk.
If you feel unwell or have any unusual discomfort you do not understand, tell your doctor as soon as possible.
Can I drink alcohol while taking it?
There are no known interactions between Betnovate Scalp Application and alcohol.
What if I’m pregnant/breastfeeding?
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breast feeding. He/she will decide if you should use Betnovate Scalp Application.
If you have any more questions please ask your Pharmacist.
Remember to keep all medicines out of reach of children
Please Note: We have made every effort to ensure that the content of this information sheet is correct at time of publish, but remember that information about drugs may change. This sheet does not list all the uses and side-effects associated with this drug. For full details please see the drug information leaflet which comes with your medicine. Your doctor will assess your medical circumstances and draw your attention to any information or side-effects which may be relevant in your particular case.