HOW DOES LYNCH'S PHARMACY HELP?
- Initial half hour consultation with our Pharmacist outlining Heart Disease. This 30minute one-on-one session is broken into three areas -
- What is the cause of Heart Disease?
- How is Heart Disease treated?
- How do you live with Heart Disease?
- We will go through the causes, risk factors, progression and management of Heart Disease. We will explain the treatments available including conventional medicine, complimentary medicine and complimentary therapy. All our complimentary medicine and therapies are evidence based, and have proven their effectiveness in clinical trials.
- Access to our Heart Disease Resource Centre - stay informed on all news related to Heart Disease, including the best management strategies available
- Access to our Heart Disease Library where you will find articles and videos on all things to do with causes, living with and treating Heart Disease.
- You might have been recommended to follow a healthy diet, so we make it easy! we provide many delicious calorie controlled recipes, which are high in fibre.
- Exercise is medicine. Let Olympic Athlete Gillian O'Sullivan get you motivated and started with an exercise program. Gillian will put you through your paces online using our stretching and exercise videos.
- Visit our stress management centre where Sinead & Jez will help you relax through Yoga and Tai Chi.
- Also available in our resource centre are our scientifically proven complimentary therapies. Get started today using our quick start guide to art therapy, music therapy, light therapy, meditation, relaxed breathing, muscle relaxation and many more. Control your stress using scientifically proven therapies.
What is it?
Heart Disease refers to a number of diseases that affect your heart, and in some cases, your blood vessels. The various diseases that fall under the umbrella of Heart Disease include diseases of your blood vessels, such as Coronary Artery Disease; heart rhythm problems (arrhythmias); and heart defects you're born with (Congenital Heart Defects).
How do I recognise it?
Heart Disease symptoms vary, depending on what type of Heart Disease you have.
- Chest pain (Angina)
- Shortness of breath
- Pain, numbness, weakness or coldness in your legs or arms, if the blood vessels in those parts of your body are narrowed
Serious congenital Heart Defects — a defect you're born with — usually become evident during the first few hours, days, weeks and months of life. Heart Defect symptoms could include:
- Pale gray or blue skin color (cyanosis)
- Swelling in the legs, abdomen or areas around the eyes
- Shortness of breath during feedings, leading to poor weight gain
Less-serious congenital Heart Defects are often not diagnosed until later in childhood, or even adulthood. Signs and symptoms of Congenital Heart Defects that usually aren't immediately life-threatening include:
- Easily becoming short of breath during exercise or activity
- Easily tiring during exercise or activity
- Built-up fluid in the heart or lungs
- Swelling in the hands, ankles or feet
- Breathlessness with exertion or even at rest
- Swelling of the legs, ankles and feet
- Bloating (distention) of the abdomen with fluid
- Irregular heartbeats that feel rapid, pounding or fluttering
- Dizziness, lightheadedness and fainting
Heart Disease symptoms caused by heart infections
Heart Disease symptoms caused by valvular heart disease
The causes of Heart Disease vary by type of Heart Disease.
How do you treat it?
Like any disease, even if there is no cure, there is almost always something you can do to manage it and take control. There are three main areas involved in the treatment of any disease:
For information on medicines and therapies relevant to Heart Disease, make an appointment at Lynch's Pharmacy, Broadale, Douglas, Cork on 021-4366923.
Learn all about the drugs used to treat the Heart Disease and any complementary medicines or therapies proven to help. Equip yourself with the tools to manage the condition and not be managed by it.
How do you live with it?
Certain adjustments may be needed to get on with your life, and often, some simple tips and advice can go a long way to making these changes.
When you come to a Lynch's Pharmacy Clinic, we give you all the necessary information available to make your life more manageable and allow you to better live with your condition.
Heart Disease, Information for patients- http://www.cks.nhs.uk/patient_information_leaflet/congenital_heart_disease
Treatment & Management Strategies
If you would like to know the latest treatment and management strategies, using conventional and scientifically backed complementary medicine and therapies, plus an assortment of helpful tips, hints and lifestyle remedies which will improve your overall quality of life, then call into our pharmacy and we'll be delighted to help.